Tuesday 6 November 2007

"'In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death taxes and...

Should fireworks be allowed to be used by amateurs, and should there be restrictions on how many days a year that they can be let off? Like with smoking restrictions, there are strong views on either side.

Actually, I'm not going to get in to this debate. But if I did, I'm sure I would hear pro-pyrotechnics folk cite the Nanny State and 'infringement of freedom' and so forth. My point is that, unless you live on an island - with a population of one, you already live with rules, mores and restrictions. It's just that some are there to protect people ...at the cost of perhaps your own indulgence.

So, if i could tread on Benjamin Franklins's* toes a bit, I would add a third certainty ...
"'In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and regulations."




*Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Jean-Baptiste Leroy, 1789.

No comments: