Thursday 27 September 2007

If I Ruled The World

If I ruled the world, not only would every day be the first day of spring, but I would also bring in a new law (as well as eradicating Brussell Sprouts from the planet). I would make it near impossible to change the name of a pub.

Trivial, I hear you say? OK, it's not on the same level of importance as combating HIV, but public houses are more than just places to drink. They are historical entities that transcend generations; they are directional markers, they are like trees that watch the future go by.

I moved to Harrogate sixteen years ago, and one old pub has changed its name in that time from The Rum Runner, to The Honest Lawyer, and is now called The Iron Duke. My neighbour remembers it being previously called The Old Tradition. On Tuesday I went to The Muckles, which changed from being Scruffy Murphy's, then on to The Alexandra, which was called The Rat & Parrot last year and something different a year or two before.

The world changes very fast these days, and personally I reckon we could do with a little stability here and there. Or would you like to discuss this over a pint?

No comments: